Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Northern Fur - A Review

With this post I wanted to shine a light on a great company that I have been dealing with for over a year now and help get all you Canadian fly tying junkies into some great quality and priced furs.

http://www.northernfur.com/pelts.html

I first contacted Bill from Northern Furs while looking for a red fox pelt in order to tie up some foxee clousers. After ripping through a few small patches from the fly shop while tying this fly I realized that a pelt would be a much more economical option and would allow me to tie a lot more flies for a whole lot cheaper. From the start Bill has always been very quick to respond to my emails, has given me great customer service and is always willing to answer questions and try to get me what I need for my next batch of flies.

On the main website you will find tons of beautiful pelts, mounts, wall hangings and other fur products. Most of the items on the website are grade A quality and are not priced or meant for fly tying, but that is were the personal touch of Northern Furs comes in to play. I would recommend contacting Bill through email or phone and asking for fly tying or craft grade pelts, tails or furs. Often he has many items that are not listed on the website and often will work out deals with you for exactly what you are looking for.

 Since my first transaction with Bill I have padded my fur collection with  a coyote pelt, red fox, arctic fox, Australian opossum, skunk and many other types of animal. Even Bill's "Craft Grade" fur is amazing quality, usually the characteristics that put the furs into this quality is a small section that has been cut out due to mange or damage to the pelt. I highly recommend using Bill for all of your fly tying fur needs, he is pleasant, quick to respond back to emails and messages and a pleasure to work with.


Here are some photos of the high quality fur offered by Northern Fur out of Iron Bridge Ontario. Keep in mind most of these pelts have been picked at by me for tying and dying, we have in order of appearance Red Fox, Coyote, Arctic Fox, Australian Opossum and Mink.






No comments:

Post a Comment