Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Double Standard

Double Standard tied on Hanak Wet Fly Competition hooks in size 10 with Heavy Metal tungsten beads


For a long time now I have been watching the video series produce by Tight Line Productions known as Practical Patterns. Looking through all of their videos I am amazed at the how clear and well done the videos are and have used many of them to copy patterns to stock my fly boxes with.

I wanted to share here with you guys a simple but deadly nymph pattern that I fell in love with immediately after seeing this video. A cross between a pheasant tail nymph and a hares ear nymph this pattern is just dynamite. Since finding this pattern I have tied and fished it for trout, pan fish and more recently suckers and the fish seem to find it irresistible. By varying the material used for your bead (Tungsten, brass, glass) and the amount of lead wraps used as the under body you can change the weight and characteristics of this pattern. I prefer a heavily weighted tungsten bead used to get the fly down in faster currents which works wonders on dropper rigs. This is a very versatile pattern and I tie it in many different sizes and weights to cover all of my nymphing needs.











No comments:

Post a Comment