Saturday, February 1, 2014

Why Swaps Are Great...and Not So Great Sometimes

Today was the first fly swap of a local group of fanatical spey/steelhead fishermen and as always a great time was had, many stories were exchanged and everyone got to go home with a great assortment of patterns to swing this year for steelhead.

I have participated in a few different swaps since I started tying and each one has been a great experience. Sitting down and tying a dozen or more of the same pattern for a swap teaches consistency, discipline and technique.

Many people use online forums to host and participate in swaps and that is how I first cut my teeth. I joined an online bluegill swap that tied a new pattern each month under a certain category. Be it bead chain eyes, nymph, dry, or caddis every month I got a chance to look through patterns in magazines, books and online to try and find the fly that I would tie a dozen of. I had a lot of fun, tied many different patterns, improved my tying skills and received a load of great flies in return for all the effort.  Unfortunately one downside to swapping online is you are usually dealing with swappers from all around the world and shipping can sometimes get a little crazy. The bluegill swap was ran by a gentleman in the United States and for over a year everything went well. Then one day while picking up my package at the post office I was told that Canadian Customs had intercepted the package, deemed it was not a gift and re-valued the contents at $103 on which I would have to pay $26 in taxes and duties. I paid the fee and then appealed the charges which proved as effective as beating my head against a brick wall. When swapping across boarders these sorts of things can arise. Another thing to keep in mind is that some materials that are legal in Canada may not be legal in the U.S or other countries, seal fur and heron for example.



Because of this one incident I have moved away from online swaps and instead have decided to participate only in local face to face swaps. Participating in swaps is a great way to get new ideas, see what others are having success with, and to quickly stock your fly box with effective patterns. I highly suggest that anyone who is interested in fly tying participate in at least one swap to see if they enjoy it. If nothing else what better excuse to meet up at a bar, restaurant or pub for a few drinks and some appetizers with good friends.

Tight Lines!

No comments:

Post a Comment