Thursday, May 1, 2014

Steeheading Spring 2014 - Part 1


Well the trip up to a Lake O tributary has come and gone...normally I would go into great detail on the trip, events, how the conditions were, techniques and flies...however I am still exhausted from that trip and hitting the local waters today so I will just briefly go over what went on.

I started off the day swinging flies and after three hours I switched over to nymphing stonefly-esq patterns and boy did the action pick up. Over the entire two days of fishing I hooked 55+ fish easily and landed perhaps 9 or 10. The reason for so many long distance releases I think was due to the fact that I was using barbless nymph hooks and in a few cases hooks that were not up to the task of fighting feisty steelhead. On the second day I started swinging again for a while and hooked two fish that I did not land. After that I started to accidentally foul hook fish in the run so switched back to nymphing for the remainder of the day. Here are a few photos of fish that I caught, as well as a few caught by my good friend Mike B and some of the flies that did not stand the test of Mr. Steel.



No comments:

Post a Comment